Sunday, August 7, 2011

Thoughts for the fall

As  I grow increasingly tired of the 90 degree, humid weather my thoughts have shifted toward the fall.  The fall this year at our house means SCHOOL!!  That's homeschool for us :).  J will be three and V is nearing two so we will be working together on numbers and letters, reading and counting, colors and seasons - all the fun stuff that they don't understand at all yet.  J told me the other day that he had been working on building his train track for "one hundred years".  He needs some schooling :).


Aside from the smaller lessons I have three main goals for the school year: potty training (might be passing that buck off to my MIL), learning to swim (that will greatly aid me NEXT summer when C is walking around), and music lessons.


Since I will be teaching the kiddos everything else I have finally decided that I will continue that trend on the piano.  I have a good deal of knowledge I'll be able to pass down before moving them on to a different teacher or instrument.


As I part from my first blog post I am curious about your plans and dreams for the fall.  That crisp, fall weather also brings along a hope and excitement about a new year.  Are you getting ready for school?  What activities will your kids participate in?  Not to self-promote but I will pass along some wisdom from my mother who always pointed out the 75 year olds who could still play the piano... but you would be hard pressed to find them on the soccer field.  Not that I am against the value of team sports but it does seem to reason to enroll your child in something that is far reaching (such as music).


I will use this blog to capture the kids music moments as well as some other fun memories.  I will also be the occasional reminder to encourage your child in music - whether that be singing or playing the clarinet.  This is a lifelong gift you can give to your little one.


J on stage with his play guitar
The picture above is at Oak Pointe church during our Sunday morning run through.  J is practicing on his play guitar right next to the real thing.  We love these early music experiences we can provide for the kids.  They love to be around it.  I think that very soon they will have their own set of skills and talents they will be able to use for God, for themselves, and for others.

1 comment: