Sunday, August 7, 2011

Good teachers are costly, but bad teachers cost more. -Bob Talbert

There is certainly a cost involved with raising children.  This becomes more apparent when the time comes to start enrolling your kids in things... lessons, sports, art classes, camps, etc.  I have a friend who is deliberate about putting her daughter in activities that will continue to be cheap (i.e. rollerskating).

Of course there is a benefit to allowing your child to try different activities - but how do you choose which ones to do?  How do you find balance when there are so many things to choose from?  How do you afford it?

Once again my thoughts shift toward music - a passion that can be lifelong with many creative outlets.  A passion that can make your child money in the long run (I began teaching private lessons at that age of 15).

At the Yurich piano studio lessons cost $100/month.  It averages out to around $25/30 min lesson.  I have gotten many different responses to this amount.  If you research, you will find there are lessons that are a little cheaper and some that are much more expensive.  Beyond comparing to other lessons however it interests me to compare to other activities.

For example, lets say you want to enroll your son or daughter in ballet.  You could expect to pay between $60 and $150 a month for tuition.  In addition to tuition, there is the cost of dance shoes, dance clothes, and accessories.  Most schools hold an annual dance recital that has a fee attached as well as recital costumes that cost $75 a piece on average.  My kids sometimes grow 3 inches in a week so those shoes, clothes, and costumes may not last that long.  In contrast, I still have my piano books from 1985.  They cost a few dollars a piece and I can now use them to teach my little dudes and dudette.

J - starting him young
As parents we tend to follow in the footsteps of our own parents.  My bias towards music lessons is certainly skewed due to my upbringing and current usage of this gift of music.  But logically doesn't it really seem to make sense?  I mean, I haven't seen any grandmas wearing leotards anytime recently.  Of course, the benefits of any type of children's activity involve confidence, team work, mental and physical growth, etc.  For us, we hope to have the balance of activities that will include the above benefits but also be as far reaching as possible.

With the economy where it's at I'd love for our kids to have as many skills and talents as possible that will take them into adulthood.  5,000 out 7,500 graduating college students who are looking for teaching jobs will have to move out of Michigan this year.  Maybe my next post will be about my brother who has built for himself a guitar teaching empire to help him and his wife make ends meet as they substitute teach.  Yes, I think that's what I will do.  Next post: featuring Luke (FOS) Haddad.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree with you more, Ginny! Maybe we can start talking trading services here soon. We watch the kiddos for you, (I'll clean and organize at the same time) and you instill some musical ability into my kids?? lol

    ReplyDelete